Tuesday 4 May 2010

ALLOTMENT PROGRESS!

Yes, Richard is making some real progress with the allotment.   With some wonderful warm sunshine a couple of weeks ago he spent hours out there digging the bottom section over.  It was hard work by all accounts but he still had a moment for a smile and a pose for the camera!
A few days later the fruits of his labour were quite evident.  Basil is shown here with Richard - by the side of the freshly dug plot.  The soil is wonderful and also very deep; great news as we have plans for a number of root vegetables including carrots, potatoes, swede, onions and Jerusalem artichokes!! 
                             
Meanwhile, spring is quite evident in the Roskhill front garden with our daffs fully open revelling in the bright sunshine and all that extra space that has appeared since I spent days out there getting rid of all those weeds!!
Four black sacks later the borders were looking a lot better following my battle to extricate nettles, ground elder, docks and dandelions.  Now it's just keeping on top of them throughout the next few months that is important.....

2 comments:

Nelly said...

I can fully recommend the jerusalem artichokes. I'm in Glendale and our artichokes fed me all winter, right round to the time for planting again. They are the most indestructible garden veg I've come across! Good luck with the rest of the gardening and please send any hints on dealing with bracken and dock my way. I have an acre and a half of that to deal with before I have a garden...

Richard Dorrell said...

Hello Nelly, welcome to our blog. I've moved your comment to here, because it relates to this post. I'm afraid you have an awful lot of digging ahead of you if you plan to clear an acre and a half of bracken and dock. Thankfully, most of the unwanted vegetation on the allotment is grass!