Thursday 2 September 2010

Monsters in the allotment

I've been away 'down south' for a week or so. Now back home, there's a few things to catch up with...

Skye is not usually associated with long periods of dry sunny weather, so as it is both dry and sunny just now, I have decided to do some harvesting in the allotment. Here are a few of the champions - (that's my gloves at the top of the picture, which give an idea of the wonderful size of the potatoes, onions and swede).


And just look at the cauliflower... There's quite a few this size. We're having cauliflower cheese tonight...


Everything I planted has done sensationally well. I won't grow peas again though, because the plants have been blown all over the place in the wind. I'll put the brassicas in more shelter next year. But the dwarf runner beans are fantastic!

5 comments:

Jill said...

The cauliflower looks quite healthy! I'm not a big fan of it, although I know it's good for me, but I think I'd eat some of that one . . . in a cheesy sauce! ;)

Well done on your vegetable garden. We still have peppers of various kinds coming on in ours and a few okra. Other than that we have rosemary, basil, garlic chives, and mint.

Worcestershire Turnip said...

You're doing well Richard. You've obviously developed green fingers up in Skye. That cauliflower is amazing! See you soon.

Jill said...

By brassicas do you mean cabbage? Or perhaps broccoli?

Richard Dorrell said...

Hello Jill and Pete, I think we are going to suffering from vegetable overload soon... I hope you like eating vegetables Pete!

Jill - the Brassica family include broccoli, Brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage and cauliflower.

Worcestershire Turnip said...

Hi Richard,

The good news is yes I absolutely love vegetables, but funny enough when I was a kid I didn't. I was always being told off for not eating my greens! I particularly disliked brussels sprouts but I'm quite fond of them now. But I particularly love all kinds of beans, peas, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, leeks, potatoes etc etc. I'll have to stop, as it's making my mouth water!

What I'm not very good on, is eating fruit that we keep being told we're supposed to. I manage with bananas, but I'm not very good with things like apples and pears. I sometimes buy them, but never get round to eating them, so they end up getting thrown out, which is quite a waste.

Looking forward to my visit very much. Regards, Pete.