Friday 6 April 2012

Allotment news

Sue is back from Kent, and I was all set to spend some of my new-found 'spare' time on the allotment, but what happens? A day of continuous rain...

So the potatoes remain on a table in the study, all chitted and ready, just waiting for a dry and ideally sunny day to get them in the ground. But I did spend an hour in the shed getting the brassicas started. (That's cabbages, cauliflowers, broccoli and sprouts). I grow them in individual little seed trays in the shed (which has a large south facing window) to start, and then will grow them on in individual pots in the shelter of the cold frame before they go into the ground, so they will have a good root system to help them cope with the club root disease in the soil here. I'm growing cub root resistant varieties too, so I'm hopeful they will do OK.

2 comments:

drgeo said...

Hooray for Sue's return ! Let there be merriment and baking!

Richard Dorrell said...

... yes... and help with the ironing...!!!