Tuesday 8 May 2012

Story with a happy ending

I was upstairs making up beds for our next visitors this morning, when a sudden 'bomp' outside was the unmistakable sound of a bird flying into a window. Thankfully, this doesn't happen very often - birds doing this can sometime break their necks. So I peeped quietly outside, hoping I would find the bird was fine and had flown away.

However, I was somewhat dismayed to see that there was a small bird standing on the sloping roof of our ground floor bedroom. It was obviously alive, and looked unharmed, but it was wobbling on its feet and opening its beak - not a good sign.

I watched for a few minutes, and nothing changed, so I decided that the right treatment for shock was to keep the patient warm, and with that, set off to the shed to get out the ladder. Having climbed up to the roof, I could see I would be able to reach the motionless bird without actually climbing onto the roof, so I cautiously stretched out, expecting the bird to hop out of reach, but it didn't move, and I was able to take the almost weightless little scrap into my hand.

The bird was a male wheatear. It would have only recently arrived on Skye, as these birds spend their winters in Africa, and come to NW Britain in spring to breed.

The tiny bird seemed completely unafraid of me, just lying in my hand and letting me gently stroke its beautiful plumage. There is nothing quite like getting up so close to a living wild creature! I willed it not to die, and sat in the garden keeping the bird warm in my hand for a good half hour. It made no attempt to struggle at all. 

Eventually, the bird looked to be taking more interest in what was going on around it, turning its head this way and that, so I opened my hand, expecting it to fly away. No - it seemed to like this cosy human nest, and it stood up onto its feet on the palm of my hand, and allowed me to walk into a more open area. I gently dropped my hand, and my little friend opened its wings. I tried again, and the same thing happened. The third time, it took flight and swooped off over our garden and out of sight.

I hope it has a happy summer on Skye, and keeps away from windows!

2 comments:

Jill said...

As they say on Facebook: "like!" :)

drgeo said...

Be interesting to see whether he comes back for a visit, maybe a dip in the bird bath, pluck a bug from the allotment...