Friday 20 July 2012

Allotment news - more problems

As if the drought wasn't enough, I have now watched most of my lovely brassicas wilt and die due to an infestation of cabbage root fly. I would guess the dry weather has made them a particularly persistent pest this year. Now having read up on the problem, I see a small barrier mat around the stem of each plant is all that is needed to prevent the maggots getting to the roots. So maybe next year I will finally get to eat a cabbage that I have grown myself!

It makes me thankful that we don't depend on the allotment for our food supplies, as would have been the case on Skye many years ago. It was in part due to the failure of potato crops that led to many of the Skye people emigrating to the USA and Australia

At least everything else looks to be doing OK. I am watering most evenings, having to carry water in buckets from the house. The runner beans have recovered from their difficult start, and the biggest of them are beginning to flower. I have dug a few of the first early potatoes, and although they are small (drought again...) at least there will be a crop. They haven't quite got the flavour I was hoping for - maybe try a different variety next year.

4 comments:

drgeo said...

In the US we can easily order "beneficial insects" to control garden pests. For example, nematodes eat the larvae of many soil based worms. Just yesterday I released fly parasites in the barn and trichogramma wasps (microscopic) which fly into trees and eat bagworm larvae. Green lacewings eat aphids, and praying mantis are fun to watch. Of course, when they all decide to visit your neighbor you have to start again.

Richard Dorrell said...

Thanks drgeo - I have been reading up on nematodes - they are readily available by mail order here in the UK as well. I'll give them a try next year.

drgeo said...

They sell nematodes by the million. I always wondered who counted them and what that job would be like!

Richard Dorrell said...

heh heh heh!