Wednesday 9 December 2015

Relentless Rain

I'm not one to moan about the weather. You don't move to Skye and expect wall-to-wall summer sunshine or regular crisp frosty winter mornings. But just now, I am beginning to wish that it would stop raining...!!!

The rain we have been experiencing for the last several days is accompanied by some pretty strong winds too - like 60/70 mph at times - so the raindrops are driven horizontally and sting if they hit you in the face. It is a challenge to get waterproofs dried out quickly enough so that they are comfortable to put on for the next trip outside. You don't have to be outside for long to have them streaming with water again.

Thankfully, we are under no threat of flooding here. Most of Skye slopes, either gently or steeply, and at the bottom of the slopes, rivers and burns often flow in deep gorges. Currently, the Roskhill River, which flows in a forty-foot deep gorge just beyond my soggy allotment, is roaring down to the sea in full spate.

No outdoor photos I'm afraid, but here's the view out of my study window this afternoon... usually, I can see MacLeod's Tables in that grey space beyond the moorland.

.

2 comments:

Sanni said...

Hi,
greetings from Finland (it's dark and raining all the time in here also, we're already waiting for those frosty and snowy winter weathers for christmas...)

Just wanted to leave a comment, I have followed your lovely blog for some time now. It's been my dream to travel to Skye, never had a chance. But some day we will! Maybe we'll rent a cottage from you guys when we can make our trip happen :)

Richard Dorrell said...

Hi Sanni, Thank you for your comment, and for following my blog. Hope you make it to Skye one day - but come in April or October - much better than mid-winter!!