Wednesday 20 August 2008

A long job

When I decorated the outside of the Barn at Easter 2007, I knew that I had been a bit lazy with the preparation of the parts built of concrete block - the many layers of original paint were not adhering well, but I just painted over it anyway, to make the place look smart for the summer.

Now we live here, and I can do 'bits' when the mood takes me, I have started to do the job more thoroughly, and it's a slow task. Some areas flake off with little effort, other patches flake off with a bit of tapping and scraping, and some bits won't come off at all. What you see in this picture is the result of about six hours work. (Also - note our new sign...!)



Today, a very calm slightly misty morning has brought out the midges in huge numbers, and as I seem to be a particularly attractive target for the ones which bite the most fiercely, I am staying indoors!

Incidentally - the montbresia in our garden is just about at its best now, so here's a picture Sue took yesterday. As you can see - it was another beautiful day, and quite a contrast to the torrential rain which we know has been affecting so much of the country.

1 comment:

Worcestershire Turnip said...

Rain is the order of the day down here. I'm glad to say my present problems with arthritic knees gives me the perfect excuse not to even think about jobs like the one you're undertaking. I'm sure it will look very nice when you've finished.

I'm popping down south tomorrow for a couple of days so hope the weather will be better there but doubt it. I have had to abandon short sleeved polo shirts and am now dressed as if we were in October/November. Maybe we are and somehow I overslept? Best wishes.