Tuesday 15 March 2011

Old photographs

I popped into the loft the other day, looking for something which I failed to find. However, I DID come across a box containing hundreds of old slides which I took between about 1975 and when I went 'digital' - probably about the late 90s. There was even my old projector in the box with them, but it doesn't work properly, and I can only project the slides one at a time, manually. 
The problem now - what to do with them all?
Part of me wants to wallow in the past and look at them all and transfer then onto the computer. But I know this would be emotionally difficult, as there will be pictures of family and friends who are no longer with us, past partners in the happy times, and even some pictures which will be, frankly, embarrassing!
So, another part of me says 'put the whole box back in the loft'.
But of course, I've already looked at a few.
It's very strange, but looking at them makes me feel old, and sad that all those great times (and mistakes and missed opportunities) are gone for ever. It's not that I don't have a wonderful life now, but I reach my 60th birthday soon - a bit of a landmark I guess - and the realisation that more of my life has gone than I have ahead of me is sinking in.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely thought provoking post Richard. I know exactly how you feel-I too find it very difficult looking at old photos, remembering people and places a long time ago, but I suppose that IS life, and the passage of time.
Keep the pictures, I think you would regret it if you threw them away.

Nick

Richard Dorrell said...

Thanks for your sensitive comment Nick. I will certainly keep the pictures, and will probably get them copied onto the computer eventually - but it will take a while!

Worcestershire Turnip said...

Hi Richard

What you say is so so true. I find it very difficult too, but I couldn't bear to part with any of my old photos that include people. Some of them make me smile, and remind me of the good times, others make me very sad. And, as you say, there comes a time when you realise that there is less time ahead, than the time that has gone. I reached that point some while back, and so now I'm retired I try to make the most of life as far as health & finance allow.

I think when you feel able, it makes sense to scan the photos to your computer, as unfortunately slides do fade (Kodachrome, which I rarely used, keeps it colours well, but others are less good).

As to photos without people, if you know where the places are, then its worth putting them on GeoGraph for the benefit of other people in the future. That's what I've done with some of mine, but I still have piles in the loft, yet to be sorted. With those I can't identify, then I probably will prune them, as I've kept a lot which aren't very good technically, and if I don't know what they're of, there doesn't seem much point in keeping them. But as I say, any with people in, I'll keep for the memories, good or bad.

Bye the way, I love your man training pictures, your dog could end up with his own TV series!

Best wishes to you & Sue,

Pete

Richard Dorrell said...

Hi Pete! Thanks for your comment. I have been looking into the best way of copying the slides. Only have compact digital camera, so the slide copiers that screw onto a camera lens are no good to me, and scanners are reported to provide poor results. Any suggestions (anyone...?)

Anonymous said...

There's only one way to do it properly Richard, and that is to use the services of a professional scanning company. A friend of mine tried various bits of kit himself and they were all a waste of time as it's almost impossible to reproduce the colours properly.

Nick

Worcestershire Turnip said...

To get decent scans of slides & negatives then you do need a dedicated slide scanner (from around £60 upwards) or a flat bed scanner, which has adaptors to take slides or negs. These are more expensive - one of the best is Epsom. I think the V500 is about £179. I had to buy one of those a few years back, as many of my negatives are rollfilm & dedicated scanners tht take rollfim are enormously expensive, so there was no other option I could afford.

Unfortunately using a flat bed scanner which doesn't have the special adaptors, is guaranteed to give poor results. However they are fine for scanning prints and often the results you get from doing that, is just as good as scanning negs. You can still adjust the results in Photoshop Elements or similar.

So I think you need to bite the bullet and get some kind of scanner. In the long run it's worth it, as paying a lab to scan already processed negs or slides is not cheap. Perhaps put it on your Christmas list? (I'll duck while Sue throws a plate!)

Pete

Richard Dorrell said...

Thanks for the tips Pete and Nick. I'm finding bad reports on the cheaper scanners... but the cost of having several hundred slides processed professionally would be colossal!