Monday 11 April 2011

Potatoes planted!


Here's a shot of the alltoment in the sunshine today. To the left of my planks are four rows of 'earlies' - Pentland Javelin, and the row just in the ground and three further rows I've just finished planting to the right are maincrop Maris Piper.

This is the first planting I've done on the allotment this year, but the beds are all dug and ready. I have some brussels sprouts, broccoli, leek and broad bean seeds germinating in trays. The weather seems to be perking up a bit now - I hope we are going to be frost-free from now into summer, so I don't think it will be long before I get the onion sets and some of the outdoor-planted seeds going.

4 comments:

Jill said...

I hope the weather this year is just perfect for whatever you plant!

So far, here in Texas, we have strawberries coming on, onion and garlic tops getting tall, carrots crowding out the pepper, and a couple tomatoes starting to flower.

Richard Dorrell said...

The weather is ALWAYS perfect on Skye - so long as you like rain, frost, sun, cloud, hail, snow... all on the same day...

Your season is well ahead of ours Jill, and it's too cold here for peppers and tomatoes, but we'll have strawberries and carrots eventually!

Elizabeth said...

I can't even get the tip of the shovel into the garden soil. It's still frozen rock hard! The snow is almost gone, though, so I'm starting the spring yard work (mostly clean-up from winter storm debris and doggie offerings) this weekend.

Richard Dorrell said...

Hi Elizabeth - good to see you here! I couldn't cope with your climate - I don't like 'hot' but I'm not keen on 'frozen' either. Skye seems just about perfect for me.