Wednesday 26 September 2012

Travelling south again

On Friday morning, I'm setting out for another trip to visit my friends and family in the south of England. I do these trips three times a year, but always set out with mixed feelings. I really enjoy catching up with people in person, as opposed to on the phone or email, and it is also always a 'reminder' experience to visit the south again - it is just so different to here!

But... the 700 mile drive is something of a trial. I used to do it non-stop (apart from 'comfort breaks'..!!) but these days I take two days over the journey and have an overnight stop in a B&B. It is interesting to see other B&Bs, but it is clear that the Scottish  Borders B&B market is a different one to that on Skye - which I guess is not unreasonable, as the requirements of the visitor will be different. (Skye is more up-market, but more expensive).

And... I sigh with feelings of loss as I cross the Skye Bridge travelling south...so I'm most relieved to see the familiar hills and the Skye Bridge as they loom into view as I make my return. Skye has a peculiarly magnetic attraction!

On Friday night, I will be staying near Ayr, on the west coast of Scotland, south of Glasgow. I'll post pictures and comments here if it seems appropriate to do-so.

Back soon!

4 comments:

Jill said...

It's good to visit other places every once in awhile if for no other reason than to be reminded of how wonderful home is and appreciate it all the more when you return. :)

drgeoo said...

Aye what a gift the giftie gie us,
To see ourselves as others see us.

Say hello to Robbie Burns whilst passing through Ayr! Alloway is just next door.

Richard Dorrell said...

I stayed the night at Mauchline, drgeoo, a place which featured prominently in Burns' life.

drgeoo said...

Burns came to live on the outskirts of the village at Mossgiel farm in 1784. Many of his poems are believed to have been written whilst he was there, notably The Holy Fair, To a Mouse, and Holy Willie's Prayer.
He made many friends (his wife Jean Armour was born in Mauchline) and a lot of enemies whilst in Mauchline, many of whom are buried in the kirkyard: "Holy Wullie" Willie Fisher, the Reverend William "Daddy" Auld, John Richmond, "Clockie" Brown and notably Gavin Hamilton his best friend.