Saturday 29 December 2012

The Cruel Cuillin


Graham Paterson, 1952 - 2012

The awesome beauty of Skye's Cuillin mountain range attracts walkers and climbers from the world over. Many visitors employ a mountain guide to take them safely into the hills.

One of the best was Graham Paterson.

Graham was renowned for his patience and encouragement. He was also very conscious of the need for caution and safety. A Client Comment on the website I created for him reads: This man knows every rock, every path, every place to escape from and hide from weather and wind... he builds confidence and helps guys like me achieve stuff I could never dream of... he is an absolute star in my eyes and made my week on Skye the most terrific, fabulous, enthralling, exciting... and most of all FUN time ever...


Last Thursday, Graham was booked to lead a novice walker for a walk in the Cuillin. The detail of what actually happened, we will probably never know, but somehow, Graham fell and was injured. His client came back down from the hills to raise the alarm, but by then it was night. Search teams, including Search and Rescue Association dogs and an RAF helicopter, did their best in the appalling wintry conditions that overcame the hills that night. By the time Graham was found, his injuries and the weather had taken their toll, and Graham was dead.

We just cant believe this has happened, and are struggling to cope with such dreadful news. We send our fondest love and hugs to Graham's wife, Annie. We are thinking of you Annie!


8 comments:

Unknown said...

A wonderful man, a great friend. RIP Graham, love you always and forever in our hearts Lizzie and Bob xx

Anonymous said...

Graham I can't believe ur gone, you where a great friend,workmate R.I.P mate at least you left us doin what you loved most
Michael W

Unknown said...

Aww Anne. So so sorry to hear of your truly awful news. Thinking of you! Xxx.

Debbie Noble

Anonymous said...

A true tragedy for one of life's good guys. Our thoughts and condolences to Annie. A very sad time for all who knew Graham.

SPRA Hillwalkers

Anonymous said...

I only met Graham for one ttrip but feel this really deeply. Graham was a real gentleman. Gentle, understated and kind with only one thought, to make his clients trip the best he could. He was a character too and regailed us with his tails of running 10k races and taking out Annie Lenox. Skye will not be the same without him there.
Kevan

Anonymous said...

It took me a year for this news to reach me, it make me sad that I didn't get in touch with him more often than I should've, I only met Graham for one trip, simple non hardcore climbing trip, he was such a noble man, truly giving his best in helping me n my wife had our most wonderful time in Skye, I can't believe you're gone... we will miss u Graham, we've planned to visit you and let our daughter knows this lovely uncle Graham :) ... wherever you are now Graham... I believe u're in good hand now, rest in peace friend...

Sean Paterson said...

Hi i was wondering if anyone on here can help me, my name is Sean Paterson i am one of graham's sons. When he died some paintings that he had done were given to friends on the island. I never managed to get one and am trying to source one. Would anyone on here know of any information that could help me. It would mean the world to me. Thank you.

Richard Dorrell said...

Hello Sean, The best I can suggest that if you send me your email address, I will pass it on to Graham's former wife, Annie, who may be able to help you. My personal email is richarddorrell@aol.com