Sunday 23 June 2013

Away from Skye

I've been away from Skye for nine days, and will be setting off to travel back home tomorrow. It feels like it's been a long absence, and I will be pleased to be back, even if my most pressing job will be to get all the lawns mown again!

I've had a very varied trip. When I travel south, I always drive, and take two days over the long journey. For interest and variety, I try to make my overnight break in a different place each time. This time, I stopped in the quiet little town of Annan which is near Dumfries, close to the England/Scotland border.
Annan town centre
River Annan near Brydekirk
I then travelled on to South Wales, where I stayed a couple of days in a nicely located holiday cottage near Pembrey with long-time friends Sara and Rod.
Here's the cottage...
... and here's a bit of Pembrey Sands where we enjoyed a windy walk - it was a lot more interesting than the picture suggests!
From Wales, I headed on down to Torquay in Devon, to the home of another long-time friend, Val. On one sunny and warm day, she suggested we went up onto Dartmoor for a picnic, which was pleasant, and while there I took the opportunity to have a short walk to one of the moor's many tors.
Picnic time
Approach to Sharp Tor
View from the top
My sister and family also live in Devon, so I spent a couple of days with them, and another walk on Dartmoor was undertaken, though in rather less clement weather...
Ascending Cosdon Hill
Sister Sue, John and Jeremy at the summit - a trifle damp...
Tomorrow, I pack up my bags and trundle my little van back northwards. I will be breaking my journey at a B&B in the Scottish coastal town of Ayr - more photos may follow - and I plan to be back with my Sue and Cupar at The Barn late on Tuesday afternoon.


No comments: