Thursday 22 May 2014

A Blog-Reader Visits

I have been aware for some time that this blog is read by people all over the world. A few of the followers have stayed in our cottages, and one or two people have visited Roskhill while they are visiting Skye. The latest visit to here from a blog-reader was just yesterday.


This is Zak, here on Skye all the way from Oklahoma City in the USA. Zak first contacted me a couple of years ago, when he was planning a 'trip of a lifetime' somewhere in the world, and had discovered pictures of Skye (and this blog) on the internet. We were in touch by email from time to time, and now he has finally fulfilled his dream, and is here right now. He is a thoughtful and most interesting young man, with a philosophy of life which belies his tender early-twenties age.

Zak is travelling alone and independently with no definite plan of where to go or how long to stay where-ever he finds himself. He is back-packing, and wild-camping. Unfortunately, his visit to Skye has coincided with some windy and wet weather, which is definitely not the best weather for outdoor living, especially for someone who is used to a rather warmer climate than here in the Scottish Highlands. He is thinking of heading for somewhere a bit warmer and drier...

Zak is keeping a log of his travels in a blog called A Story Adrift. (Click on the title to open link). I wish him well with his adventure, and hope that maybe before he heads back home to the USA that he can fit in another visit to Skye, when he just might find some sunshine...

1 comment:

Zak Miller said...

Thank you for sharing my story, Richard! It was absolutely wonderful meeting you and your wife. You both showed me the kindness of strangers by opening your doors to me and by helping me via email for years now. I definitely hope to return to Skye for a bit before I head back west, but who knows when that could be. I will stay in touch and let you know when I'll be hitchhiking your way. Thanks for everything.
-Zak