Friday 22 April 2016

The Barn Garden

During the spring and summer, I write quite a bit about the allotment here at Roskhill, but I don't say a lot about the garden. I suppose that's basically because there is not a whole lot to say! On the whole, flowers don't do too well in our harsh and windy climate, and our rather busy lifestyles make it difficult to put as much time into the garden as would be ideal, so most of the garden here is just grass, with a few shrubs and a bit of stone wall on which Sue has grown some pretty little wall-plants. We have some evergreen trees, and the surrounding moorland vegetation edges its way into the garden through the fences.

Last autumn I was a bit savage at 'trimming' some of the shrubs (and was told off by Sue for doing so) but they are sprouting again now, so I'm confident that they will become bushy again eventually, and then we'll keep them under better control.

Just this week, I have spent some time gathering some lovely rounded rocks from a nearby building site. They had been exposed during the excavation for a septic tank - the ground is just full of them, and the site owner was happy for me to 'help myself'. I have laid them as a border between our driveway and the lawn, where we think they look great.

Here are a few photos taken today...

No spring storms means that the daffs have had a better year
You can see where I was a bit hard on the shrubs...
Notice the new lawn edging rocks
Roskhill Barn, Spring 2016


No comments: